I am a Professor in International health, and I have broad working experience from research and public institutions, international organisations and NGOs.
By training, I am a medical doctor with long and extensive experience in hospital work, research, disease control, management, research management, and teaching and work in developing countries. My professional profile includes surgery in developing countries, population studies, maternal and child health, and control of tuberculosis, HIV and AIDS, malaria and malnutrition.
In Norway I have also worked as a surgeon at Haukeland University Hospital with focus on Breast and Endocrine surgery.
Scientific Publications and Book Chapters
Adjunct Professor, Hawassa University, Ethiopia
Professor emeritus at Centre for International Health, University of Bergen
Professor at Centre for International Health, University of Bergen (up to August 2019)
Senior Consultant (Endocrine and Breast surgery) at Haukeland University Hospital.
My web sites: emaps.uib.no thesis.uib.no lindtjorn.no
Current research projects
- Norwegian coordinator NORHED project (2014 – 2020): South Ethiopia Network of Universities in Public Health (SENUPH) improving women’s participation in post graduate education. Cooperation between UiB and Hawassa University.
- Support to Gidole and Kemba Hospitals in Ethiopia on neonatal and maternal health (2019 – date)
Previous research projects:
- Coordinator “Combining indoor residual spraying and long-lasting insecticidal nets for preventing malaria: Cluster randomised trial in Ethiopia” (2012 – 2017); see http://malaria.w.uib.no/maltrials/
- Coordinator: Ongoing research in south Ethiopia on tuberculosis control control (2000 – 2017; see http://bernt.w.uib.no/my-research-areas/tuberculosis/).
- Norwegian coordinator of research programme (2007 – 2014): “Ethiopian Malaria Prediction System (EMAPS)”. Funded by NUFU (2007 – 2012) and University of Bergen (2007 – 2015). (see http://emaps.uib.no/)
- Coordinator of research and intervention programme “Reducing Maternal Mortality” in south Ethiopia (2008 – 2014). A programme in cooperation with the Regional Health Bureau of South Ethiopia. Funded by NORAD and Norwegian Lutheran Mission. (see http://bernt.w.uib.no/health-work/)
- Centre for International Health, University of Bergen: Professor, 1998 to date (http://www.uib.no/persons/Bernt.Lindtjorn#profil)
- Centre for International Health, University of Bergen: Director, 1998 – 2000 and 2004 – 2007
- European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership: Interim Executive Director (December 20, 2004 to June 20, 2005)
- European Malaria Vaccine Initiative: Contact Holder (EMVI); 2003 to 2007
- Health work in Ethiopia: Gidole Hospital (1980 – 1982, 1985; 2008 – 2014), Arba Minch Hospital (1984, 2000 – 2014); Yirga Alem Hospital, (1978-1980; 1985-1987; 1992-1993; 2000 – 2006); Coordinator famine relief work in Ethiopia 1984-1985
- Haukeland University Hospital: Consultant Specialist in Endocrine Surgery; 1996- date
- Consultancy work in China, Mongolia, India, Angola, Ethiopia, Tanzania, South Sudan
- PhD -Epidemiology. University of Bergen, 1992. Thesis: Child health and nutrition. A study from drought prone areas in southern Ethiopia.
- Medical specialist – General Surgery (Norway, 1996)
- Cand Med (Medical Degree) – Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo. 1976
Supervisor for PhD students
- 25 PhD students
- Lungowe Sitali (Malaria; complete in 2020)
- Tarekegn Solomon (Malaria epidemiology; complete 2020)
- Meselech Roro (Malaria in pregnancy; complete in 2020)
- Moges Tadesse (Health of pregnant women and neonates; complete in 2020)
- Solomon Hailemariam (Treatment of pneumoni among children; complete in 2020)
- Alemselam Zebdewos (Co-supervisor; Prevention of anaemia; complete in 2020)
- Debritu Nana (co-supervisor; prevention of malnutrition; complete in 2020)
- Samrawit Hailu (Child health and nutrition; complete in 2020)
- Bereket Yohannes (Food security and nutrition)
- Mehretu Belayneh (Food security and nutrition)
- Hiwot Hailu (School health)
- Hanibale Atsebeha Zegeye (Malaria epidemiology)
- Hiwot Abera (Demography)
- Abdela Amano (Co-supervisor; Birth registration)
- Hirut Gemeda (Neonatal health, Hawassa University)
- Bethelem Mezgebe (School health, Hawassa University)
Supervisor Master Thesis